A List Of Free Online Tools For Writing SEO, CTR & SERP Effective Meta Description For Your Blog & Easily Boost Your Social/Search Traffic.
Finally, It’s the third post in my “BlogSpot SEO for beginners“ tutorial series and it has been very interesting for me. Having to cover a lot of hidden facts about “Meta Description”. In the first post, I walked you through the easy steps in enabling meta descriptions the right way.
BlogSpot SEO Basic Topics Outline
In the second post, I concentrated more on helpful tips needed when composing an SEO and CTR optimized meta description. Noting that the meta description has just 2 basic functions.
- To help Google understand your blog post better (SEO).
- To increase your ClickThrough rate (CTR) i.e attract people to click your links.
All that and how it all works have already been covered. Today’s post will not only make writing effective meta description a walkthrough but will also show you free tools that pro blogger use.
I have sectioned this post for proper understanding. The table of content should make navigation easy for you. Each section of this post will talk about a specific topic and will provide easy to use tools to get the job done.
Finding the right keywords For Meta Description.
Keywords usage while composing the meta description is a big task you need to carry out. The keywords you use help define your blog post and also you really don’t want to use keywords that don’t define your blog.
Finding the right keywords for your meta description can be very tough and sometimes takes hours/days to crack. But these free tools should make it easier for you.
But why do you need the right keywords?
You could have easily picked any word and call it a keyword but then, will it fulfill its purpose?. Many bloggers also make a mistake of using another blogger’s keywords, is it good? YES. but only if you are both in the same niche.
Do I recommend it? NO. There are numerous words in the world today, that explains your blog better than that one stolen word. Why not think deep, research hard and find that keyword?. Let me show you free tools that will make finding the right keyword easier.
1. Google Related Search
No better place to find keywords related to your blog than Google itself!. You don’t just need a keyword from NOWHERE. You need a keyword people search for and this you can find on google related search.
The google related search was provided to make finding things easier for Google users. Well, Google also blessed bloggers with it because, with it, you can get a lot of SEO practices done, including finding the right keyword, writing the best blog post titles ( this post is part of this series), etc.
How does Google related search work?
It’s easy. Go to google.com input your keyword and search. Scroll to the bottom and you would find long tail keyword searches that are popular and related to the searched word.
2. Blog Labels, Categories & Tags
You didn’t expect this right?. Well, it’s not a tool per say but then it works. Actually, it’s one of the best places you need to go to for keyword suggestions. Whenever you publish a new blog post, you probably create a new label for it or add it to an already existing label. right?
The reason you do so is because such posts are related and should be kept together. If I published an article about “getting Adsense approval” and another on “adding Adsense to a blog” they are similar and should be under the same Label/Category.
Why do you create labels?
Labels help you keep your posts in categories i.e keeping related posts as a result of their content, title, etc in one group. You keep on doing this each time you write a new post.
Each of this labels you have successfully created definitely relate to your contents. Don’t tell me you added a music download post and a blogging tutorial post in the same label?. Did you? NO, you can’t.
This is why blog labels and categories are a good place to run to when you need keyword ideas.
How to get Keyword idea from Labels
Now, take your time and surf through your blog labels, you would find 1, 2, 3 etc labels that describe a specific segment of your blog.
That label is a keyword and you should run it through some series of tests using keyword word suggestion tools to find out if there is a better keyword related to it.
Using Keyword Suggestion Tools
After defining what your keywords are and getting suggestions from your blog labels, these free online tools will help you get long tail keywords from your single words. These tools work great and are completely free.
First on my list, is KeywordTool.oi a free online tool that helps you surf for words related or popularly searched for based on your short tail keyword.
How to use KeywordTool.io
- Visit www.keywordtool.io
- Input one of your keywords (e.g blogging)
- it would suggest popular searched keywords for you.
- Select any that best describe your blog.
5. SEO Centro Keyword Suggestions and Generator
This is another powerful online tool that can bring to you a full list of keywords that will match your blog. You might not need to use all the keyword suggestion tools before you get the right keyword.
Just try to be patient while doing it and this should also be done for all blog posts before you publish.
How to use SEOCentro Keyword Suggestion Tool
- Go to SEOCentro Keyword Suggestion Tool
- type in your keyword
- verify that you are human and submit.
- A list of keywords will appear based on popular search.
6. Adword Keyword Planner
Another great tool from Google. If you make use of Adwords then you should have good information about the Google Adwords Keyword Planner. It works just like every other keyword suggestion tool but tends to provide more data.
Since it’s for those that run Adword ads, Adwords keyword planner, tends to provide you with Keyword bid, the number of searches etc. You also get to know many other things with the AdWords keyword planner.
How To Use Keyword Planner Without A Campaign (Creating an Ad)
- Go to https://adwords.google.com >> Sign in.
- Set up your AdWords ads but don’t include billing details.
- This will make your account inactive.
- Go to “Tools” at the top bar.
- Click and locate “Keyword planner”.
How To Use AdWords keyword Planner
- Below “Find new keywords and get search volume data”,
- Locate and click “Search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category”.
- Type in your keywords under “Your product or service”
- Add your blog post URL under “Your landing page”
- Pick a category and that is all. >> Hit get ideas.
7. Semrush Online Keyword Analyzer
Semrush is one big online SEO tool that can make search optimization easy for you. It suggests the best keywords, give you an insight of your ranking keywords, traffic cost etc and pretty much anything that will help you boost both On-page and off-page SEO.
how to do keyword research with Semrush
- Go to Semrush keyword suggestion tool page
- In the keyword box, type in any keyword you wish to analyze.
- Select Country.
- Hit “Start Now”. That is all.
- Semrush will now display an overview; which include CPC, phrase match keywords, Organic search results (competitors) etc.
Free Online Tools For Writing Effective Meta Description
You could have done it, without a tool. a blogger is literally good in writing but then tools make it much easier. You can easily get the job done with these free tools, hopefully, you have made good use of the keyword tools and have decided on your keywords.
Perhaps, you have already written a sentence or two and mentioned these keywords and it appeared catching to you! but then you don’t just want it to be catching! you need the language used (preferably English depending on location) to be correct and well structured.
This is why you need these next tools, not to help you come up with ideas but to help you perfect the sentences you already came up with.
8. Use Grammarly to correct Grammar errors.
No matter how good and outspoken you are, you still need to check your edges in other not to make blunders. Grammarly FREE account can get this done for you but to an extent, It is preferably better when you make use of the PREMIUM version.
Because then you get to fix other issues highlighted in yellow which the free version won’t show you how to.
How to get Premium Grammarly account for free
- Go to Grammarly.
- Install the Grammarly extension.
- Create a free account.
- This will give you access to a premium Grammarly account for a limited time.
The above trick is a legal (approved by Grammarly) way to get the Premium Grammarly account for free. It’s hassle free.
Free Online Tools To Check Word (Character) Count
Meta Description word count is limited to 160 words and you need to keep your description length below this. let’s say 150 words maximum. With the help of the below tools, you can easily count your words, sentences, character etc.
9. Word Count Tool
A great online tool that gives you accurate information on what ever data you place in it. You could either type directly or copy/paste your meta description.
What you need to take note of is the “Character with space” because this is what Google/Bing/Yandex/Baidu calculate. Make sure it doesn’t exceed the word count.
Free Online Tools To Preview Meta Description
Finally, you are through with writing the meta description for your blog/post and you are probably wondering how it will look like. Well, this tool will give you a good preview of it.
10. SEOmofo Google SERP Snippet Optimization Tool
Taking a good look at what your meta description will look like before publishing might just boost your confidence. SEOmofo has got you covered with a free tool that shows you the preview of your meta description, post/blog title and also the URL of your blog. It’s a free 3-in-1 package.
Aside from just previewing you can also get a glimpse of other SERP snippet look.
- Add a date beside meta description (this should let you know if any of your important keywords will get cut off when Google adds the date published).
- Bolded Keywords: I always emphasized on bolded keywords, well this online tool shows you exactly which keyword will get bolded when the post get indexed.
- Add rich snippet text: You might just be working on a blog post, that describes or places a product on sale then it is advised you include a rich snippet. This tool doesn’t help you add a snippet but shows you how your blog post would look like when a snippet is included.
With the above features from one FREE ONLINE TOOL, you should be able to power up a good meta description whenever you write a blog post.
Visit tool page now
Free Online Meta Description Checker Tools
Not seeing your meta description being displayed on Google? and you feel something might be wrong! Well. Sometimes your meta description could be missing due to template errors but these next free online tools should help you test for your meta description.
Giving you appropriate information on whether your meta description is present or if it’s missing.
11. Test Page Title & Meta Description Visibility in Google Search Results Using to the web
Having missing meta description could really harm your blog CTR & SEO because Google/Bing/Yandex would have to index the first few words of your post which sometimes is not SEO & CTR friendly.
This is why you need to test your meta description to be sure if it’s present or missing. This you can do with To The Web meta description tester.
Apart from meta description, you also get a view of how your post title looks like in search engines. Cool right? start your free test.
- Go to web meta description tester
- Locate “Option 1” – Generate a preview of your current page
- Type in the URL of the post you want to test.
- Hit “Generate Preview”.
- The indexed description and title of your post would show up.
12. SEOSiteCheckUp Meta Tags Analyzer
Using just one online tool isn’t enough right? you need to make sure it is really present. Well, here comes another great FREE tool that will get the job done for you.
The SeoSiteCheckUp meta tags analyzer gives you a complete overview of how your meta description is displayed. Then you can decide if it’s good for SEO & CTR or not.
How to use SEOSiteCheckUp Meta Tags Analyzer
- Go to SEOSiteCheckUp Meta Tags Analyzer tool page
- Locate “Meta Tags Analyzer” >> Below it you would find a box.
- Type in the URL you wish to test.
- Click “Checkup” and it would load your results.
- Your result should hit 100% just like mine!.
13. Browser View Page Source
You can also check for meta description using your browser. No need for FREE or PREMIUM online tools. You can check it right in your browser. But then you can only verify if it’s present and can’t verify if it is CTR or SEO optimize.
I recommend you do this if you have tested your post with other tools and just want to see how it looks in your header sections.
How to check for meta description in view source page
- Visit the post/page you wish to test,
- Right left click on any part of the page,
- Locate “View Page Source” in the listed options >> click it.
- Using CTRL+F/CMD+F search for name=’description’/>
- If found, your meta description is working but if not found, your meta description is missing.
That is how easy it is to test/check for your meta description. If your meta description is missing, you need to add it properly by following this guide.
The Meta description is very important for a blog. It works wonders on both CTR and SEO.
More From Author
There are numerous online tools on the web to test for meta description, some are free and others are premium but whether free or premium these free online tools above do a very go job and you should give them a try.